1. I was born, raised, educated and married in the state of Arkansas.
2. I subsequently got the hell outta dodge and now live in the country of Scotland.
3. My 1st grade crush was on the boy who could read really fast.
4. In elementary school, two friends, Greta and Jennifer, and I started a club called The Nutcase Club. We met weekly in the girls' bathroom on Sunday nights after church and recited our Official Club Poem.
5. I used to be a mega-tomboy and refused to play softball. It was baseball all the way.
6. I was on the 6th grade girls' basketball team. I was crap. At the end-of-the-year party, we all received ribbons for "Most Points Scored" or "Best Improved". I won "Best Team Spirit" because I was so crap.
7. I had a pet dog named Bandit who was dog-napped as a puppy.
8. I am a faithful fan of Tripping Daisy.
9. I got into the rock opera RENT back in '97. That means I've loved RENT almost from its inception (1996).
10. In my life I've loved three sports teams: LA Lakers (basketball), NY Mets (baseball) and Glasgow Rangers ("soccer", or rather, football).
11. I've always wanted to collect something. I had an extensive candy wrapper collection in elementary school. I tried to collect Barbies at one point (I have a grand total of two). Now I collect kokeshi. I've got seven at the moment.
12. I did beauty pageants in 11th and 12th grade. For scholarships, people.
13. I also did 'Forensics', or in layman's terms, competitive drama. I was the 2nd Place State Mime champion my senior year.
14. I really wanted at some point to get a leading role in one of the high school musicals. I never got more prestigious than Riff's girlfriend in West Side Story. Maybe if we'd done the show in mime...
15. I used to be a shift manager at Little Caesar's Pizza.
16. I have seven piercings. I got my first earrings when I was 5, my second set of earrings when I was 16, my left ear cartilage when I was 18, my nose ring when I was 20 and my tragus at 23. At 21 I got a third piercing in my left ear, but have since stopped wearing anything in it.
17. I have two tattoos: one on my foot and one on my back. The foot one is an Arabic calligraphy design that means "faith" and the back one is an Arabic design that means "hope". My third and final one will be Arabic for "love", giving me faith, hope and love, the greatest of the spiritual gifts according to 1 Corinthians 13:13.
18. So yeah, I am a Christian. (Shock! Horror!)
19. I am a Christian who is a Reformed and still reforming credobaptist and cautious non-cessationist with no opinion on the millennium or rapture. And by credobaptist, I mean I just think that's what the Bible says and its not like you're going to hell for baptizing your babies, and by non-cessationist, I mean I don't actually know that one can speak in tongues for ones own benefit, but perhaps one can for someone else's benefit, if tongues are interpreted. And by without opinion on the millennium and rapture, I mean the Left Behind series is such a load of crap.
20. I am really, really interested in theology and believe all Christians should be to some extent.
21. I wear red glasses (currently).
22. I really like cute shoes with kitten heels.
23. I am 24 (as of today's date, 8 May 2006), and I still wear my high school class ring.
24. I have a degree in English, emphasis in Creative Writing.
25. I had several shows on the University student radio station KXUA 88.3: the Essential Mix (Saturdays, noon-2, I believe), a 2-4am free form show and a 10am-12pm eclectic show. I called myself DJ Xia.
26. I want to be a midwife. I'm planning on going back to school soon to get a midwifery degree.
27. I believe in homebirth.
28. I believe in breastfeeding.
29. I don't necessarily believe in circumcision (except for religious reasons, or of course, medical reasons).
30. I also believe in a woman's right to choose whatever freaking methods of childbirth and parenting she believes is right for her and her family.
31. I can't keep plants alive.
32. In September 2004 I married the most wonderful, handsome, loving man in the universe, a Scotsman by the name of Scott. Yes, Scott from Scotland.
33. We have two adorable kittens together, Remedios the Beauty and Clementine.
34. Remedios the Beauty is named after a character in Gabriel Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude.
35. Clementine is named after the character in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.
36. Gabriel Garcia Marquez is probably one of my favourite authors of all time.
37. I love the Bronte sisters. They are my favourite authoresses.
38. I love to read.
39. I supposedly write poetry.
40. I have never cheated on anyone or shoplifted.
41. I make friends easily.
42. I just have trouble keeping them.
43. I got my first mobile phone at age 22.
44. I once lost fifteen pounds on WeightWatchers.
45. I have visited nine countries: US, Venezuela, Pakistan, Jordan, Israel, Mexico, Canada, UK and France, in that order. But I plan on visiting many more.
46. I'm afraid of heights, but I'd really like to go on a hot air balloon.
47. I'm terrified of spiders. Like phobia terrified.
48. I also have a fear of burglars, kidnappers and stopped escalators.
49. I used to be afraid of thunderstorms, but now I LUV them.
50. My husband and I spent a total of seven weeks together the entire time we were dating.
51. I break a lot of things on accident.
52. I like Diet Dr Pepper, Mountain Dew and Irn Bru (diet or original).
53. I have a serious problem dieting, because I cannot say no to chocolate or cheese.
54. I once delivered a pizza to Paula Jones. She didn't tip.
55. I worked in a law firm right out of high school and once got to assist in trial, handing the files to the lawyer during his arguments. I kept my own notes of the trial and shared them with the lawyer during a recess. He was so impressed with some of my observations that he actually used one of my points (that he hadn't picked up on himself) in his closing statement.
56. Most of my friends my whole life have been male.
57. I got dumped once for being a virgin.
58. I was a virgin until the night of my wedding. So was my husband.
59. I am completely against the birth control pill. (But I'll let others make up their own minds.)
60. I am not, however, against all contraceptives.
61. I bit my nails incessantly until I was 18. At 18, I decided it simply had to stop. Now I only bite when I'm freaking the heck out about something.
62. I can't really swim. ("I only dog paddle".)
63. So yeah, The Princess Bride is probably my favourite movie ever.
64. Most of the kids hated me from about 4th grade to 9th grade.
65. I hate my ass, legs and arms.
66. I love my eyes, lips and hair.
67. I love old hymns.
68. I do not so much like modern Praise & Worship songs.
69. I think Christian music generally sucks.
70. I love gin, Bombay Sapphire in particular.
71. I'm not a full-time smoker, but I do enjoy a good fag here and there.
72. My birthday is April Fools Day.
73. I keep in touch with only one of my college roommates (the one who happened to be my best friend beforehand anyway). I had seven altogether.
74. I kinda buy into the conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11.
75. I can't decide which way I lean politically. I think I'd be what they call "a moderate" but that sounds so lame.
76. I love being married. I love my husband.
77. I love skirts and dresses.
78. I love Rangers.
79. I've never broken any bones except for one of my toes once.
80. When I was about 6, my neighbour Justin and I found a baby bird that had been knocked out of its nest lying on the ground. We tried to nurse it back to health by cracking walnuts and acorns for it to eat. I'm pretty sure the bird didn't make it.
81. I used to have a pet rat named Squirt.
82. I turtle-sat a water turtle named Speedy for about two and a half years for a friend/boyfriend/ex-boyfriend.
83. I have seen Bill Cosby live.
84. I once put a one dollar bill in Har Mar Superstar's underwear at a gig.
85. I've been given a professional lap dance at a strip club (free of charge!).
86. I performed in a band called Sharkie my last year of college. I think I managed about three gigs before the other two guys joined another band, and Sharkie went defunct.
87. I performed in a band called Oswald's Pool in high school. I think I managed one gig before the drummer pretty much threw me out. (The band didn't last much longer after that anyway, once the bass player got expelled from school and the drummer and guitarist were no longer allowed to hang out with him.)
88. I'm currently growing my hair out.
89. Green is one of my favourite colours even though it is the Celtic colour and I support Rangers.
90. I like painting even though I'm not very good at it.
91. I love my name, Lori.
92. I was never any good at climbing trees.
93. My favourite vegetable, hands down, is okra.
94. My husband and I have decided that when we get old and one of us is surely close to dying, we are going to take a hot air balloon ride over Africa and jump, and hopefully get eaten by lions.
95. I used to go to raves. I was slipped acid once at a rave, and it was horrifying.
96. I think it is unfortunate that Meg Ryan is so typecast. I think she'd make a really good bad girl.
97. I was obsessed with The Babysitters Club books when I was a kid.
98. I am really interested in cell biology.
99. My husband and I plan to have three kids. I really want two of them to be twins.
100. If I were offered either baby carrots or a packet of crisps, I would honestly take the carrots. But no one ever offers me carrots, so that's why I eat so many packets of crisps.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
1. I was born, raised, educated and married in the state of Arkansas.